Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Russian Orthodox Easter mass outfit: mission accomplished!

Another productive morning--and I don't consider myself a morning person, LOL. My cousin and I went first to Al Saladin street for passport pictures, and I was finally able to change some of them dollars. We go there because according to experience they seem to have the best rates. Al Saladin street is the biggest street in East Jerusalem and also the street where my father worked in his pharmacy 30 years ago (the pharmacy is still there too). First and last time I had seen that place was 1.5 years ago, and it was packed with Muslims shopping for Ramadan. Today was emptier and slightly easier to walk the street, even though people walking at crazy slow, or fast paces//not caring to let you pass sadly happen all over the place in this country. Everyone does it, and so you get used to asserting yourself fast (otherwise you'll get annoyed, LOL). A little 'issue' with the currency change: a few were unwilling to change my currency because I brought $20 bills, so in the future I'll remember to bring $50 bills and higher only. However, we did find someone who agreed to take them, at the cost of 20 shekels. That means it only cost me about $5, which is absolutely nothing to me, so I pounced on it (just get me some Shekels already, sheesh!!! :) ). 

We then went to the Damascus Gate and the Muslim quarter for me to buy that skirt I had seen yesterday, which is oh so Russian Orthodox Easter mass-appropriate, and a complete steal!!! I also found a scarf to cover my hair so I am ready for, as my uncle calls it, 'the most important night of the year.' So basically I'll be wearing all black: black top, long black 'flowy' skirt, and a black scarf over my head. My dad said to be sure to dress warm because that monastery gets super freezing at night, so I will be sure to keep that in mind. I feel relaxed now knowing I don't have to worry about 'what I'll wear for that day.' I thought it was kind of cute and unique to be running around the Old City looking for religious garb. Whoever thought I'd be doing that someday?! :) +

Later, I randomly 'ran' into this article, about Jesus' crucifixion nails... Perfect timing?! 


Jesus' Crucifixion Nails Found, Says Israeli Filmmaker

0 comments:

Post a Comment