Saturday, April 9, 2011

5th Friday of Lent in Jerusalem

Yesterday we attended yet again the mass at St. Jacob's next to the Holy Sepulchre. The mass was longer than last week's (2.5 hours instead of 1.5) because it was repeating the masses from the weeks prior up until today. Even though I don't speak Arabic I find the mass(es) very soothing and relaxing, and not knowing a language has never really been an issue for me. Even so, in spiritual matters I find language to be less of a barrier than it might be in other instances (besides there's nothing stopping you from praying in your own language(s) if that suits you). The people in attendance are Arab Orthodox but it's also interesting to see the occasional Russian Orthodox visitors, priests, and nuns who stop by to kiss the Virgin Mary's icon and say a quick prayer. It's always enjoyable to walk through the streets of the Old City, especially at night. Kinda makes me wish I could live inside those quarters... :)

Continuing in our fasting, we had huge falafel and Ka'ak bread (bread with sesame) and salad for dinner. Tea and some kind of sweet always complete the meal. The sweets of course have to be appropriate for the fast, so we usually buy them from Christian bakers since they know the ingredients used to make them. I stuffed myself, which may have prevented me from falling asleep right away, but I just can't refuse falafel (I think I ate most of it this time, lol!).

I believe on Tuesday I will be going to the Old City to watch the Catholics walk Jesus's path on Via Dolorosa and all the stations where He fell. Can't wait to catch THAT on film and pictures!! Will be sharing those ASAP (and praying that the laptop here doesn't crash; it is seeing its last days, ha!). +

0 comments:

Post a Comment