Saturday, April 16, 2011

Festivals and some Jerusalem nightlife...

There is currently a 'festival' going on here that I won't be able to attend, but has been of interest to me. It's called the Palestine Festival of Literature. They are basically events happening in different cities throughout Israel. What I didn't know is that the same festival is also happening for Israel, called International Writers Festival of Israel. I got an e-mail today reminding me of their events, and I ran into a New York Times article that discusses how both sides are ignoring each other's festivals... =( 


In terms of going to some of these events, it's not always as simple as you'd think. There is crazy traffic here and sometimes roads are closed off. Finding parking can also be a challenge. I will say that I feel there are at least quite a few things to do, if you make an effort to look for them. A few days ago, I attended a concert at the YMCA as part of the Jasmine Festival (basically a spring festival of classical, jazz and world music). It was nice to see such talented young people play (teenagers!!!) as well as the pieces played by their instructors. It was just something different to do and check-out here, which I thought was nice. 


I've also caught a glimpse of Israeli nightlife, and I must say I was quite surprised because it reminded me of Rome and Paris on warm spring nights. What I saw involved streets crowded with young people, drinking, smoking, eating and talking way louder than they should or need to (LOL!!!). Guys dressed in whatever, while most girls were looking their hottest and you almost feel that's kind of unfair (haha!!!). Eyes searching each other, trying to figure out 'which group they belong to,' which languages they speak? A few drinks more and it seems no one cares anymore... I'd label the feel as chilled and relaxed, and if sitting outside in the slight breeze may be bothersome, that is nothing their super strong drinks won't make you forget real fast... 


I'm aware that none of this sounds terribly 'religious' or Easter-like in nature. However, I think that highlighting some cultural aspects are just as important and interesting as any other. What I'm drawn to is the mix of religious/spiritual with the more common and mundane aspects of life. At what point do you draw the line between your spiritual self and material self? Is this even possible? Does going out and 'getting crazy' mean that you can't be a deeply spiritual person? Does shutting yourself off from the world automatically result in you being a better, kinder, more loving person? I realize different things will suit different personalities best, so perhaps it's up to each of us to figure out where we stand. +

Palestine Festival of Literature link:


New York Times article link: 


Jasmine festival link: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment